Length of course two years
Five GCSEs or equivalent, including Maths, English and Science, at grade C or above. If you have a Level 2 Extended Certificate or a Diploma in Applied Science, Distinction preferred.
• Level 3 BTEC Subsidiary Diploma - equivalent to one A-level
• Level 3 BTEC Certificate - equivalent to one AS-level
Why study Level 3 BTEC Applied Biology?
The main purpose of the course is to provide you with the knowledge, skills and understanding to be able to work within the biological science industry.
It is a very practical course and it provides an alternative route if you prefer continuous assessment rather than exam-based assessment.
What do I study?
The course includes the following units:
• Fundamentals of science;
• Working in the science industry
• Scientific practical techniques
• Physiology of human body systems
• Physiology of human regulation and reproduction
• Biochemistry and biochemical techniques
• Genetics and genetic engineering
There are no exams; assessment will be based on a combination of a lab book, experiment reports, practical; skills, interviews and other recorded assessments.
You will be expected to purchase a lab coat from the College for approximately £10*.
Biology is a recognised academic subject and our students have moved on to university to study Adult Nursing, Biomedical Science, Coastal Marine Biology and Human and Medical Science. It can lead on to careers in medicine, dentistry, physiotherapy, pharmacy and laboratory based industries.
* Fee correct at time of publication.