Two year course (three blocks)
Minimum of four GCSEs at grade C, including English. To continue onto the second year of the course, students must pass the first year exams.
Why study the CILEx Diploma for Legal Secretaries?
The skills you will gain on this course support you in finding full-time employment in a legal office. Some students combine the CILEx Diploma for Legal Secretaries with an A-level or BTEC programme.
What do I study?
This course includes:
1) CILEx Level 2 Diploma in the first year and CILEx Level 3 Diploma in the second year. Students must pass the first year to progress to the second year.
• Legal word processing, legal audio transcription and legal terminology
• Working in the legal environment
• Spreadsheets and databases
2) OCR Text Processing Certificate/Diploma - Levels 2 and 3
• Text production
• Word processing
• Legal text production
• Legal word processing
• Legal audio transcription
• Business presentations (PowerPoint)
• Either shorthand or communication in business.
Work experience opportunities
There is a compulsory two week work experience placement at the end of year one. This can be undertaken locally or at one of the London legal firms we have links with, such as Clifford Chance, Allen & Overy and King & Wood Mallesons.
This course leads to a career as a Legal Secretary or Personal Assistant. After further study it can lead to careers such as: legal executive, lawyer, paralegal, events management and front of house management.