Average point score of 5.3, calculated from all GCSE subjects. Your point score must include at least five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above - including English Language or Maths.
If you achieve English at grade C/4, your Maths grade must be a D/3 or vice versa.
To take four subjects at A-Level one of those subject must be Double Maths and two other subjects.
Level 3 vocational courses (BTEC)
Five GCSEs grade C/4 or above including English Language or Maths. If you achieve English at a grade C/4, your Maths grade must be a D/3 or vice versa. Students will be accepted with Level 2 BTEC Diploma (or equivalent) at Merit level and English Language or Maths at grade C/4.
Level 3 Vocational courses are recognised qualifications for higher education and direct entry into employment. Courses are mainly assessed through assignments and coursework.
- Level 3 Extended Diplomas are equivalent to three A-levels
- Level 3 Subsidiary Diplomas are equivalent to one A-level
- Level 3 Certificates are equivalent to one AS-level
You can combine these courses with GCSEs as required.
The Subsidiary and Certificate courses can be combined with A-levels for a suitably qualified student.
Secretarial & Administration courses
Minimum of four Cs, which must include English Language grade C/4.
We offer one main secretarial course, the CILEx Legal Secretaries Diploma, which runs over two years.
This course leads to qualifications which are recognised and highly regarded by employers and can be combined with GCSEs.
We also offer vocational, skills-based courses which can be combined with a full A-Level programme, or with a vocational Level 3 Subsidiary or Certificate course.
Level 2 vocational courses (BTEC)
At least four GCSEs at grade C/4 or D/3 (with a least one grade C/4). English or Maths must be at a grade D/3.
Level 2 Vocational courses are one year courses that provide an alternative to GCSEs and can lead to further training, employment or Level 3 study. As part of this course you may take a functional skills exam in IT.
To take this type of course, you will probably have a mixture of C/4, D/3 and E/2 grades at GCSE and will have missed out on four Cs at GCSE. If you do not get a grade C/4 in Maths or English, we expect you to resit these.
To progress to the next level in your second year, it is expected that you:
- Improve your GCSE Maths and English grade where applicable
- Have good attendance and effort grades
- Pass the Level 2 course
Level 1 vocational course Foundation Studies
No formal qualifications are required.
This is the course for you if you need to develop the skills for employment or Level 2 study.
It is mandatory that any student not gaining at least a grade C/4 in GCSE Maths or English must enrol onto a Level 2 Maths or English course as required.
These courses will be added to the student’s main programme of study at enrolment.
ESOL Skills for Life
This is for students whose second language is English and who need help with basic written and spoken English.
Which courses am I qualified to follow?
- Check the chart below before completing the application form to make sure you pick the right level course.
- Consider subjects you have not studied before. Some of our most popular courses are not taught in school.
- You can mix and match different types of advanced courses if you have the right qualifications and you will resit GCSE Maths and English if required.
- Select courses you will enjoy and be good at. Use what you have done at school as your best guide.
- Always select your course by being honest about your likely grades and check the entry criteria for the different types of courses.
- Students with Level 2 Diplomas are welcome at Palmer’s College. We will consider these alongside GCSE results to decide the correct course level.
|Your school GCSE results
|Your options at Palmer’s College
|Mainly Es, Fs and Gs or no formal qualifications
|Level 1 Vocational course (Foundation Studies)
|At least four GCSEs at grade C/4 or D/3 (with at least one grade C/4). English or Maths must be a grade D/3.
|Level 2 Vocational Extended Certificate course with Level 2 Maths/English if needed
|Five GCSEs grade C/4 or above including English Language or Maths. If you achieve English at a grade C/4, your Maths grade must be a D/3 or vice versa. Students will be accepted with Level 2 BTEC Diploma (or equivalent) at Merit level.
|Level 3 Vocational course plus a GCSE or CILEx Legal Secretaries Diploma as appropriate
|Average point score of 5.3, calculated from all GCSE subjects. Your point score must include five GCSEs at grade C/4 or above - including English Language or Maths. If you achieve English at grade C/4, your Maths must be a D/3 or vice versa.
|Three AS/A-Level courses
|To take four subjects at A-Level one of those subjects must be Double Maths and two other subjects.
|Qualifications from other countries
|1,2 & 3
|We will discuss and agree these with you. We can also give you extra support with English as a second language if needed.